Thursday, May 04, 2006

Cinco De Mayo

I grew up in the valley of Southern California. All of my best friends were Chicana. There are things about the Mexican culture that I don’t like, mostly the machismo, but there is more that I love.

Don’t change the channel because I’m really not getting political, just philosophical, but during the Immigration rallies that I watched on C-SPAN I just felt the need to turn to my cat and say, “We love Mexicans, don’t we Vi?” (Yes, I talk to my cat all the time)

I said that because these people are simply amazing to me. Nothing stops them. And what has always amazed me is that even when faced with such adversity, they never stop smiling. My Spanish is poor, but that didn’t keep me from understanding what was being said. It was all perfectly clear to me in their tones, chants, and smiling faces. I personally thought their huge, but peaceful protests were a beautiful sight. No matter what you feel about this issues (and I have mixed opinions, too), you can’t deny that the passion of these people is admirable.

Average Americans would do well to try looking up to these people instead of down on them. They work longer hours than us with less pay and they still found the energy to stand up for their principles in massive numbers.

Being broke as I am, I won’t being do much for Cinco De Mayo this year. Last year I had a party at my house with authentic food and margaritas; I even made homemade tortillas…about 50 of them! By the way, my secret margarita recipe is the best you’ve ever had; trust me. I call them EastLos Chiquitas…meaning just a little will kick your ass, and look and taste good while doing it. ;)

Anyway, at the very least I’ll make some tostadas and a small pitcher of my famous margaritas. And I’ll raise my glass in honor of all my old girlfriends and their illegal parents, who were kind enough to let this freckled face white girl with the letterman’s jacket into their circle. Graciela, Aura, and Jennifer—I’ll never forget you, chicas.

Adios!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I could enjoy a margarita right now!!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home