Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Spirit Room

My apartment is totally trashed after the Great American Lesbian Boot-out. Ugh. But, the good news is that I somehow found the strength this weekend to clean up my spare room. And when I say clean, I mean clean it ‘til it’s brand-spank-me-mama-new. (I’ll post some pictures later).

So, now there is a lot of room to move around. Pictures are up on the walls, everything is squared-away (the Navy would be so proud), and there isn’t one piece of trash anywhere to be seen. You should have seen this place before I got to it—totally and utterly ridiculous.

It’s also the only room with a TV, and it is tiny, so today I purchased a cheap TV tuner from my computer in the office. I’ve got a beautiful 19” LCD monitor in there with a digital connection, as well as a DVD burner. So, now I can work on my computer and watch TV, and even use my PlayStation if I feel like it. Now, I just need to invest in a comfy office chair one of these days. I’ll keep my eyes open for deals, but it’s not a priority—the cushy pillow I’m using to pad my bum is working…for now.

Anyway, so now I’ve got my spare room back, and I spent all evening in it yesterday. I’ve decided to call it the Spirit Room in honor of the Michelle Branch album that I just re-purchased (it was stolen several years ago from my ugly truck). Just as the album is a somewhat eclectic mix of rock and pop, with lots of groovy dubs and riffs courtesy Mr. John Shanks (Melissa Etheridge’s long-time producer), my room is eclectically decorated with youthful and fun-loving theme—from the boogie board, the wetsuit, the fishing net, beach ball, and electric guitar mounted on the wall you can see the things I hold up as bright from my California past…which oftentimes feels like a completely different lifetime; thus, The Spirit Room.

And just as I am glad to have my whole apartment back (despite its current state), I’m also glad to have this album back in my collection. Something about Michelle Branch’s music makes me feel young and carefree, just as my extra room does…and that’s exactly what I need right now.

Drop in the Ocean
By Michelle Branch

Love took me by the hand
Love took me by surprise
Love led me to you
And love opened up my eyes

And I was drifting away like a drop in the ocean
And now I realize that nothing has been as beautiful
As when I saw heaven's skies

In your eyes
In your eyes

And every time I drift away
I lose myself in you
And now I see I can be me
In everything I do

'Cause I was feeling as small as a drop in the ocean
And now I realize that nothing has been as beautiful
As when I saw heaven's skies

In your eyes
In your eyes

Love took me by the hand
Love took me by surprise
And I was drifting away like a drop in the ocean
And now I've realized that nothing has been as beautiful
As when I saw heaven's skies

In your eyes
In your eyes

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

You know, even though I have not actually had a guest stay in my spare bedroom for over a year, it means a lot to me to know that I have a spare bedroom and that it is ready for someone at a moments notice. I have clean sheets on the bed and since I never use the room, the only cleaning that would need to be done is a good dusting.

Anyways, it just means a lot to me that I have a room like that.

I hope you get lots of enjoyment from your room.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Shanks is hot.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home